Every day, we are hearing news about the new coronavirus, and our hearts go out to people affected throughout the world. Be assured that the H. E. Butt Foundation is carefully monitoring the latest updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Texas Health and Human Services as we make determinations about our programming. All schedule updates are listed below. As the situation is fluid, this page will be updated as we make decisions based on ongoing reports.
Most importantly: we care a great deal about being good neighbors. In these uncertain times, we invite you all to love your neighbors by praying for them, asking via phone or email if they need anything, and following recommendations from the CDC and Texas Health and Human Services for how to care for yourself and your community.
2020 Camp and Retreat Cancellations
- Laity Lodge:
- The Lord’s Prayer (Mar 19 – 22)
- Filmmakers Retreat (Apr 2 – 5)
- Open Retreat (Apr 17 – 19)
- Chrysostom Retreat (Apr 24 – 27)
- Laity Lodge Family Camp:
- Family Camp Retreat (Mar 12 – 15)
- Family Camp Retreat (Apr 3 – 5)
- Family Camp Retreat (Apr 17 – 19)
- H. E. Butt Foundation Camp:
- Northwest Hills United Methodist Church (Mar 12- 14)
- International Bible Church (Mar 13 – 15)
- Grace Community Church (Mar 16 – 20)
- Bethany United Methodist Church (Mar 20 – 22)
- Kirkwood Church (Mar 20 – 22)
- Christ the King Catholic Church (Mar 20 – 22)
- American Heritage Girls Troop 1044 (Mar 20 – 22)
- Heritage School (Mar 23 – 27)
- Pais Movement (Mar 24 – 27)
- Brentwood Oaks Church of Christ (Mar 27 – 29)
- Calvary Temple Church, Kerrville (Mar 27 – 29)
- Young Life San Antonio South (Mar 27 – 29)
- Girl Scouts Troop 348 (Mar 27 – 29)
- Trinity School of Longview 8th Grade (Mar 31 – Apr 3)
- Communities in Schools of San Antonio Xy Zone Camp (Apr 2 – 5)
- First Church of the Nazarene of San Antonio (Apr 3 – 5)
- Turn Camp-Mid Cities Community Church (Apr 8 – 11)
- Muslim Children’s Education and Civic Center (Apr 9 – 12)
- St. Luke’s, Houston (Apr 9 – 12)
- Herff Academy (Apr 14 – 17)
- Lighthouse Christian Temple (Apr 17 – 19)
- Adventurers Academy of Austin (Apr 20 – 24)
- Utopia Methodist Youth (Apr 24 – 26)
- Kerrville Church of Christ Men’s Retreat (Apr 24 – 26)
- Trinity Christan School, Lubbock (Apr 27 – May 1)
- Frio River Baptist Women’s Retreat (May 1 – 4)
- Boysville (May 1 – 3)
- Conley-Guerrero Senior Activity Center Retreat (May 5 – 7)
- Cub Scout Pack 60, Kerrville (May 8 – 10)
- Girl Scout Troop 685 (May 8 – 10)
- H. E. Butt Outdoor School:
- Baird Elementary (Mar 16 – 20)
- Bonham Academy (Mar 25 – 27)
Current Weather In
Previous Canyon Alerts
March 10, 2020 — We issued a health travel advisory related to COVID-19 and announced the first cancellation of a Laity Lodge Retreat.
October 23, 2018 — As of 4:00 p.m., RIVER ROAD HAS REOPENED. The waters have receded, and we continue to watch conditions closely. All Canyon guests and operations staff are safe and secure.
October 22, 2018 — As of 8:00 p.m., River Road is closed to traffic in anticipation of possible flash flooding.
October 16, 2018 — As of 2:15 p.m., RIVER ROAD HAS REOPENED. The waters have receded, and we continue to watch conditions closely. All Canyon guests and operations staff are safe and secure.
October 16, 2018 — As of 7:00 a.m., River Road is closed to traffic. The Blue Hole monitoring system reads 16.4 feet, about 3 feet above normal. The Frio Canyon has received about 2.3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, and we continue to watch conditions closely. All Canyon guests and operations staff are safe and secure.
October 15, 2018 — The rise at the Blue Hole monitoring system read 15.4 feet, about 2.5 feet above normal. River Road had been closed at 5:00 p.m. in anticipation of this rise.
October 9, 2018 — River Road reopened to traffic at 8:00 p.m. All Canyon guests and operations staff are safe and secure. Please continue to pray for the people in Junction who have been hit the hardest.
October 8, 2018 — River Road was closed due to flooding. All Canyon guests and operations staff were safe and secure. Flood waters at Blue Hole peaked at seven feet above our flood gauge. H. E. Butt Foundation staff were able to warn their neighbors downstream of the ten foot wall of water heading their way. Camp Director John Kerr stayed in conversation with all affected groups. Please pray for the people in Junction who have been hit the hardest.
August 26, 2017 — Tropical Storm Harvey had minimal impact in Real County. Please join us in praying for our neighbors on the Texas coast.